Monday 14 October 2013

Weekend Full of Thanks

Cardstock: Sahara Sand, Pumpkin Pie, Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla.
Stamps: Take Care, Marvelous Maple, Teeny Tiny Wishes.
Ink: Early Espresso, Pumpkin Pie, Sahara Sand.
Accessories: Owl Punch, Chevron Border Punch, Googly Eyes (retired), Dimensionals.
Every weekend is usually full of events to go to or things to get done around the house. Like I said in my last post, I was happy to have a three day weekend to relax and move at our own pace, but this weekend flew by and I can't believe it's Monday already.

At the top of our list for the weekend was to finish our son's Antique Spool bed. We bought the bed early in the summer and it has taken us all summer to finally have it refinished. I'm pretty proud to say that my husband and I did it ourselves and it is looking gorgeous. We spent the first days cleaning the wood (we have been sanding pieces throughout the summer) and applying the first coat of stain and OMG I am in love with gel stain. I have never stained before, but had a picture in my head of a drippy mess all over a bed we spent so long prepping. Well, gel stain is the easiest thing ever. You grab a staining sponge and rub it into the wood.

The second day was spent grabbing a few extra things we needed and applying a second coat of stain while our son napped. Then it was onto finishing our basement shelves. We are installing "built-in" shelving on a long wall in our basement. This has also been a few months in the making and finally all the pieces are coming together. I promise to post pictures once it's complete, but that might take another month.

Finally, last evening, my son, husband and I sat down to our Thanksgiving dinner. Since we had a big Turkey feast last weekend, we made a baked ham, scallop potatoes and baked beans. It is my favourite meal and always reminds me of Sunday dinners back home. I am so happy to have finished so much around our house, but I am ready to just spend the day relaxing!!

I hope all my Canadian followers had a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment